Foreground: Customs Examining Warehouse
The Inland Revenue Building is a massive structure located on the northeast corner of Rorie and McDermot. It was initially constructed to house the Inland Revenue Branch of the Dominion Government.
The building is constructed in steel frame with reinforced concrete floors. There has been minimal alteration over the years. The maple flooring in the examining areas was replaced with asphalt, a new passenger elevator was installed and the mechanical system was upgraded.
The Federal government has always occupied the building and it continues to do so today. The current interior of the building is very similar to the original drawings.
Background: Northern Electric Building
The Northern Electric Building was built in 1928 as an office and depot for Northern Electric, a Montreal-based firm that manufactured and distributed a broad range of products: telephone components; wire and cable; electrical apparatus; and radio sets. A small branch office had been operating since 1908 but the phenomenal growth in the prairies in the latter 1920s necessitated larger facilities.
The 90-foot square three-storey warehouse was originally planned to be four storeys. The design featured the “most modern” in warehouse construction with fireproof steel construction veneered in dark brick with Tyndal stone trim. The general office and display areas were located on the first floor. The warehouse had a heavy freight elevator at the rear of the building. The modest structure stands out from the numerous Richardsonian influenced warehouses that make up this historic district.
In the late 1950s Northern Electric relocated and the building was taken over by a garment factory. Vacated in 1975, the building was renovated by a new owner, Richardson Realty.