This was a year that I looked really cool, but was invisibly suffering from an anxiety that I did not yet know how to live with. I was 20, was studying in California for the summer at UC Berkely and felt completely controlled by it-This 'thing' that made me feel powerless. I started to experience anxiety at 18, in the midst of a very very competitive rigorous high school, when my body spoke. ⠀
Six years later..I am thriving. It hasn't 'gone away' I just know better now how to USE and LISTEN to it so I can live a magic life as I deserve. Believe me, I don't always succeed but I always know I can get there always. And so can you. ⠀
How do I do it? Some of my ways:⠀
- I change the word when I'm feeling it, to excitement. The suffering comes from attaching fear to your uncomfortable feeling. So I dance it, sing it, run it and it usually shifts. It's energy in motion. I know this isn't easy, but you CAN do it.⠀
- I place my hand wherever I'm feeling it on my body, breathe into it, become curious about it and ask what it needs. I let any emotions come, and it shifts into a companion rather than an enemy. ⠀
- I do something physical that my body wants to do.⠀
- I stopped drinking coffee. I know this may seem small, but 80% of my anxiety vanished when I made this hard choice. Now I have decaf espresso as a nice treat to enjoy couple times a week. I also check in to how much sugar I've been eating. Makes a difference too. ⠀
- I meditate every morning.⠀
- I make sure I get to nature at least every two weeks.⠀
There are many more ways to thrive and be well. I'm so curious about yours..Share below 🎶
ZEHRA'S DREAM: CHRISTMASS ISLAND
"I don't remember if it was a plane crash or I was on a ship that went down, all I know I'm in the ocean with nobody to help me... my strength is giving up on me, and soon I'll end up drowning, I know.
When suddenly, a salvation!
There's this magic island, with nothing but a single, giant Christmas tree that reaches way up to the sky. Thank heavens, I'm saved, I scream! .
But before I start swimming towards it, what do I do? I take out my phone!
I must post this, I say, otherwise nobody would believe me.
I wake up feeling pretty stupid."
To act or to take a snap - that is the REAL question (very sorry, Hamlet).
So... to act or to snap? What do you think?